New Prescriptive ICF Design Guide for Part 9 Buildings in Canada
May 15, 2021
Airfoam Industries is pleased to announce the release of its new ICF engineering design guide for Part 9 buildings in Canada. Quad-Lock branded ICF is part of a cooperative effort to develop engineered, prescriptive design solutions for ICF homes by the six-member Insulating Concrete Forms Manufacturers Association (ICFMA).
This guide provides stamped, engineered solutions for a wide range of features found in Canadian ICF home designs including below-grade and above-grade ICF reinforced concrete walls, both load bearing and non-load bearing, that make up the exterior and/or interior of Part 9 buildings. Wind and seismic conditions are covered for all regions in Canada, with very few exceptions.
Highlights include pre-engineered solutions for:
- ICF homes including a basement and up to 2 additional stories of ICF construction
- Home sizes up to 9,600 s.f. [960 m2] (maximum 3,200 s.f. footprint [320 m2])
- Basement only ICF designs with light frame above
- Strip footing size requirements
- Floor ledger attachments
- Below-grade walls up to 12 ft. high [3.66 m]
- Main level walls up to 16 ft. high [4.88 m]
- Second story walls up to 10 ft. high [3.05 m)
- Window/Door openings up to 20 ft. wide with concrete lintels [6.1 m]
- Basement walls with 6 in (150 mm), 8 in. (200 mm) and 10 in. (250 mm) concrete core widths
- Incorporation of outside entry to basement suites in concrete walls
Users will be able to rely on a province-specific engineer’s stamp for all Canadian provinces contained in the guide when submitting their ICF home design to building officials. Technical experts at Quad-Lock are available to answer questions about the guide from architects, engineers, or building officials.
There has never been a better time to build an ICF home in Canada, considering these four factors:
- Emerging building codes that mandate high energy performance
- Availability of no-cost engineering specifications for ICF homes
- Comprehensive technology-transfer and code compliant “how-to” information on ICFs available from BC Housing
- Historic cost increase in wood framing materials versus stable concrete prices
Contact us today at 1-888-711-5625 to discuss your home design and how this design resource can help you.
Want access to the design guide? Register now to get access to this amazing new tool for free!